Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Journal #17 - Prufrock

Journal 17 - “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock” – T.S. Eliot (p.775)

1. What is the significance of the poem’s epigraph? How does it relate to Prufrock?

It is significant and relates to Prufrock because it describes how his story would never be told and he tells his tale without fearing it because no one would ever hear it, like Prufrock’s tale. He would never reveal his deeper thoughts.






2. Make a list of questions that Prufrock asks. Do you see a pattern/theme to these questions or are they random?

1. What is it?
2. Do I dare?
3. Do I dare disturb the universe?
4. So how should I presume?
5. To spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?
6. Is it perfume from a dress that makes me so digress?
7. And how should I begin?
8. Shall I say, I have gone through narrow streets and watched the smoke that rises from the pipes of lonely men in shirt-sleeves, leaning out of windows?
9. Should I, after teas and cakes and ices, have the strength to force the moment to its crisis?
10. Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?

They all start with “shall I” or “do I” or “should I.”









3. What do you think is Prufrock’s main flaw/problem?

Prufrock’s main flaw is that he doubts himself and is indecisive. He worries about everything and won’t reveal his true feelings. He is very self conscience and insecure.






4. Why do you think this is called a love song? In what way is it a love song?


It’s called a love song because it’s ironic. It’s not about love at all, it’s about loneliness. He is left out of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment